Before starting the exercises, it is better to perform mild to moderate cardiovascular activity. For example, about 10-15 minutes of walking, cycling, running, etc.
- Mobility: Perform gentle movements, 10-15 repetitions, 1-2 times daily. Stop the movement if you begin to feel pain. Perform on both sides if applicable.
- Stretches: Hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds, do 1-2 repetitions, perform 2-3 times a day . The stretch should be comfortable and not painful. Hold the stretch and do not perform rythmic movement.
- Strengthening: These exercices need to be done at least 3 times / week, with 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions. Take 3-5 seconds to execute the movement and then 3-5 seconds to return to the initial position. Take a rest between each series. It is better to have a day of rest between each training. Exhale while moving and inhale when returning to the initial position. To increase the level of difficulty, you can increase the load (weight or strength of the elastic), the number of repetitions, the number of series, the frequency, etc. It is important to gradually increase the difficulty, otherwise you could cause increased pain.
***If in doubt, or in case of pain, stop everything and ask your chiropractor for advice as soon as possible.***
Exercise program by area
- Cervical spine (neck) http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/exercise-program-for-neck/
- Thoracic spine (middle back) : http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/thoracic-spine-exercises/
- Lumbar spine (lower back): http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/exercise-program-for-lower-back-pain/
- Shoulder exercises: http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/shoulder-exercises/
- Wrist and hand exercises : http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/wrist-and-elbow-exercises/
- Hip exercises : http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/hip-exercises/
- Knee exercises : http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/knee-exercises/
- Ankle and foot exercises : http://chiroallumettieres.ca/en/ankle-and-foot-exercises/
Jaw (TMJ – temporo-mandibular joint)